Drop that steamer, put the asparagus on the counter, and slowly step away. Don't even think about putting that lovely asparagus in a steamer or pot of water. Follow these directions very carefully and nobody will get hurt:
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Wash asparagus and snap off ends.
3. Lay on a greased cookie sheet and brush with olive oil.
4. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and ginger powder.
5. Sprinkle shredded Parmesan cheese on top.
6. Pop in the oven for 10-20 minutes or until it reaches your desired crispness/tenderness. (I prefer mine just in between crisp and tender so I usually bake for around 10-12 minutes.
You are now free to enjoy the world of roasted asparagus. The only downside is that you have likely now learned the "err of your ways" from back in the days of the steamed/boiled asparagus. I hope you enjoy as much as I have.